Here are a few post-upgrade issues you can encounter:
1. After reinstalling WSUS and forcing Software Update Point (SUP) to sync, the initial sync fails with following error in wsussync.log
Sync failed: WSUS update source not found on site XXX. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: getSiteUpdateSource
To make things more complicated, WCM.log doesn't show any errors.
To solve this you have to uncheck newest (or all) products which are syncing with WSUS, do the sync and the re-add all necessary products and sync again.
I suspect this is because WSUS after fresh install doesn't know all the newest products (like Windows 10, Office 2016, Windows Server 2016), but it syncs these products at first sync. Error occurs when WSUS tries to sync products of which it doesn't has knowledge.
2. Remote SCCM consoles cannot connect to site server. SMSAdminUI.log shows following errors:
\r\nSystem.Management.ManagementException\r\nAccess denied \r\n at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
:System.Management.ManagementException\r\nAccess denied \r\n at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
This is because during upgrade site server has lost some permissions, to re-add these permissions on site-server:
- Open wmimgt.msc
- On WMI Control click properties
- Select Security
- Navigate to Root --> SMS
- Click Security. Add Enable Account and Remote Enable for local SMS Admins group
- Navigate to Root --> SMS --> site_XXX
- Click Security. Add Execute Methods, Provider Write Enable Account and Remote Enable for local SMS Admins group
After re-adding thos permissions you will be able to connect again.